Thursday, April 10, 2008

Oklahoma Business/Vacation Trip


I'm off to my annual trip to Oklahoma.
The flight was frightening as we took off in a thunderstorm.
Actually saw lightening once in flight.
Are they suppose to take off in such circumstances?!
Anyway, what would a trip to OK be without (yet another) stop at the Art Museum?
Above is the large sculpture Dale Chihuly designed.
I may have told you before, his wife is from OK,
so he dedicated a permanent exhibit here.
Sweet, eh?


These purple glass rods are implanted within the real tree log.
This is one of my favorite pieces.
This is another favorite. It looks like the giant flowers in "Whoville"
by Dr. Seuss.

This is a lovely sculpture of Cherubim and a dove

Who knows what this is? Just thought is was different
from Chihuly's other pieces.
A classic example of Chihuly's bowls, or clamshells
The gorgeous hallway with the glass art in the ceiling.
The ceiling at the Bellagio in Las Vegas was done this way
by Chihuly also
This chandelier is designed by Chihuly, and made with
Waterford crystal....Nice
Have to take a trip to the Museum's store.
You can buy a small Chihuly bowl for $6000
Any takers?!
We stopped by the Museum cafe and had tea and dessert.
I had Creme Brulee while my sister (holding cup) had
3 samples of homemade ice cream and a crispy cookie.
On the way home, we stopped by the Memorial.
It's very well done and moving.

I spent a lot of time with my sister and her family, including a niece and nephew. We laughed and carried on like only sisters can!

10 comments:

snowelf said...

Hey Kayla,

Sounds like a wonderful trip--and the art is fascinating. I love art like that--very unique and you can tell how personal it is to the artist. So cool!!

take care and ttys!

--snow

That dude Paul said...

Hi Kayla,
Found you via Phil. If ya get a chance, drop by the Psycho Circus and say hello...
Peace,

Tim said...

Wow, that's some cool art!

I'm glad you had a good time hanging out with your sister and her family.

Kayla said...

Hey Snow,
It was a lot of fun..a vacation most needed....perfect timing.
All of Chihuly's work is gorgeous.

Hi Paul,
Glad you stopped by. Will visit you soon!

Hi Green,
Some of these photos I've posted before, like the hallway. All of his art is freshly fascinating no matter how many times I've seen it.
Yes, had a blast with my sister and her family. We're very close, it's hard to live so far apart.

Phil said...

Yeah, it's fine to take off in a Thunderstorm, so long as you don't go directly through it, and then it would only be bumpy :]

Great artwork shots - there's some really groovy shots there and I'm sure the camera doesn't do them justice; seeing them in real life 3D must be so much better.

Glad you had a nice time Kayla!!!

buffalodick said...

Chihulys' traveling display was here a couple of years ago- and it is breath-taking...

Phil said...

Looks like a fun trip Kayla. I love things made of glass. Dana and I took at trip to the Corning Glass Works and Museum in NY State (in Corning, coincidentally). It's so interesting to see the artisans at work.

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

Oh goodee I haen't missed anything.

Hi Kayla! How you doin'?

Crystal said...

Those are awesome pictures Kayla! Just hopped over here to say hello;o) Have a wonderful day.